We then had three unanswered points
U21 County Championship 2009


Quarter Final --- Feale Rangers  0-19 -------  Dr Crokes  3-5(played in Moyvane on Thurs 9th July)

When your opposition score nineteen times to your eight you would have to concede that you have been beaten by a far superior team. That was the case in this game but our crib is that this Competition is biased in favour of Divisional sides. It is no excuse that we have five players based in America at the moment but we do feel hard done by that we can't replace these players with good minors.

We got off to a great start with 1-1 without reply in the first three minutes. Feale Rangers gradually got on top and went in at the interval 0-10to 1-3 in front.

The third quarter belonged to us, at the end of which we had reduced the deficit to a single point. Our better players who had to work extra hard over the first forty five minutes felt the pressure in the last quarter and Feale Rangers went on for a five point victory. Our best wishes to the winners in the semi final.

Alan Kelly kept his goal intact. Best in defence were David O'Leary and Ian Howard. Johnny Buckley and Barra O'Connell gave us a good supply of ball from midfield. We were best served in attack by Daithi Casey and Denis Galvin.

Dr Crokes Best Player;  Joint winners, Daithi Casey and Johnny Buckley.

Team and Scorers;  Alan Kelly; David Neeson, Fionn Fitzgerald, Jonathon Clarke; David O'Leary, Ian Howard, Niall O'Connell; Johnny Buckley, Barra O'Connell; Ruairi Mangan, Shane O'Neill, Pat Fuller; Denis Galvin, Daithi Casey, Jason O'Grady.


Dr Crokes 5-14 Laune Rangers 3-08 (Wed 24th June Killorglin)

We had a good win in the first round of the competition, beating Laune Rangers by 5-14 to 3-8. Even though we won by twelve points, we found it difficult to stop the fast moving L.R forwards, who hit us for 3-8. It was just as well that we were in good scoring form ourselves as the 3-8 conceded by us would win most games.

We got off to a good start with a point in the 2nd minute, followed a minute later with a goal. Our opponents had their first score a minute later, a point. We dominated the next fifteen minutes and scored 1-6 without reply. The teams exchanged points in the next five minutes but the Killorglin boys finished the half the better with a goal and a point to leave us in front 2-8 to 1-3 at the interval.

Three minutes into the second half our opponents had a goal to reduce the gap to five points. The teams exchanged points in the next two minutes. We then had three unanswered points for an eight point lead with twenty minutes to go. Laune Rangers reduced our lead with a point but a goal from a penalty by Shane O'Neill more or less finished the game as a contest as we entered the last quarter. We scored 2-2 to our opponents 1-3 in the final fifteen minutes, our two goals coming in the last two minutes.

Even though three goals were scored against him, David Neeson was very sound in goal. Best in defence were Fionn Fitzgerald, David O'Leary and Barra O'Connell. Johnny Buckley and Ian Howard gave us a good pull at midfield. Best in attack were Daithi Casey, Gavin Tucker and Shane O'Neill.

Dr Crokes Best Player;  Johnny Buckley.

Team and Scorers;  David Neeson; Fionn Fitzgerald, Mike Moloney, John Bartlett; David O'Leary, Barra O'Connell, Chris Egan; Johnny Buckley 0-3, Ian Howard; Gavin Tucker 0-3, Daithi Casey 1-2(0-1free), Shane O'Neill 2-3(1-0pen), Denis Galvin 2-1, Jonathon Clarke, T.J.Cronin 0-2.  Subs;  Philip O'Connor.